Monday, October 31, 2005

Time to move on

I've left the Wal-Mart stuff up for long enough and got my share of comments about it. There's probably another post or two waiting to be written on related items, but for now I think it's time to go forward.

There's a few odds and ends out there, most notably the Alito nomination to the Supreme Court. Sounds like he's a very good choice, and a good point was brought up in several places that I read: he was confirmed to the federal bench in a unanimous vote in 1990, so even Democrats like Kennedy, Kerry, and our locals Sarbanes and Mikulski had no objection then - thus their opposition now would simply be partisan sniping. But what else would we expect? Looks like I need to bring up that point to our Senators, and see what happens.

Interesting note I found through Duvafiles and a succession of backlinks. Key quote from the source blog, TaxProfBlog: Since 1977, governments collected more than $1.34 trillion, after adjusting for inflation, in gasoline tax revenues—more than twice the amount of domestic profits earned by major U.S. oil companies during the same period.

So what is this that Democrats are whining about excessive profits? Tell government to look in the mirror and get off our back first, rather than try and stick their hand in the till even more! Oh, and gas was down near $2.25 the last time I went by the pump, so the market is doing what it does best.

And, speaking of government getting off our back: I support the Fiscal Watch Team Offset Package. Unlike my link above, this comes from the office of a REAL Senator. It's time to get that spending down like we did in the 1990's. The less money government sucks out of your pocket, the more money you have to spend at, say, Wal-Mart.